Some of the big takeaways from GeoJan’s highlights of the Gartner’s predictions for BI in 2010:
- Compound growth rate for BI platforms through 2013 will be 6.3%.
- Momentum grows in the shift from a central core of report authors to empowering users to analyze the data themselves to get the answers they really need.
- SAP and IBM (Cognos) customers are loosing patience. Attributed to these companies still being in the midst of the transition pains that come from acquisition.
- All those Challengers in the BI space were Visionaries the year before and that’s good. Their innovation is driving better product development choices from the Leaders of the quadrant.
- The goal to consolidate to one enterprise BI platform is still a talking point at a lot of organizations. The difficult economy and the need for better, faster competitive intelligence open the doors for the pure-play vendors to slip into the same organizations where the megavendors have setup shop.
- (Reading between the lines) A growing challenge will be how to manage all the intelligence evolving on the network shares and desktops with the growth of these light-weight, pure-play BI tools.
Below is the Gartner Magic Quadrant for Business Intelligence. Are you seeing these trends taking shape where you are?